The League’s position on the environment is that we must protect our planet from the physical, economic and public health effects of climate change while also providing pathways to economic prosperity.
Below is a list of local organizations/chapters that focus on the environment:
- Citizens Climate Lobby – Lehigh Valley Chapter
- Energy and Environment Committee of the Greater Lehigh Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Lehigh Valley Group, part of the Sierra Club Pennsylvania Chapter
- Environmental Initiative of Lehigh University
- Lehigh Valley Planning Commission
- Alliance for Sustainable Communities Lehigh Valley
- Agricultural Land Preservation Lehigh County
The League supports more comprehensive statewide land use planning and adoption of a comprehensive land use policy. It supports a comprehensive program for the preservation of agricultural and open space lands. It also promotes environmentally sound agricultural practices in Pennsylvania.
SHALE GAS AND PUBLIC HEALTH
The League supports the maximum protection of public health and the environment in all aspects of Marcellus Shale natural gas production, site restoration and delivery to the customer by requiring the use of best practices and promoting comprehensive regulation, communication and adequate staffing across government agencies.
The 2020 Shale and Public Health Conference was held virtually. It featured new research presented by national experts on shale and the associated public health impacts. There were five panel discussions led by a top researcher offering framing remarks. Recordings of the conference are available under Resources below.
2020 Conference Panel Discussions
- Novel Methods of Assessing Air Exposures and Public Health – Niclole Deziel, PhD, Yale University
- Unconventional Oil and Gas, Community Impacts and Environmental Justice – Lara Cushing, PhD, University of California, Los Angeles; Jim Bavisiak, PhD, University of Pittsburgh
- New Research on Birth Outcomes – Lisa McKenzie, PhD, University of Colorado Anschutz
- New Research on Other Health Outcomes – Seth Shonkoff, PhD, PSE Health Energy/University of California, Berkeley
- Climate Change, COVID 19, Fossil Fuels and Plastics – Brian Schwartz, MD, Johns Hopkins