The League’s position on the environment is that we must protect our planet from the physical, economic and public health effects of climate change while also providing pathways to economic prosperity.
Below is a list of local organizations/chapters that focus on the environment:
- Citizens Climate Lobby – Lehigh Valley Chapter
- Energy and Environment Committee of the Greater Lehigh Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Lehigh Valley Group, part of the Sierra Club Pennsylvania Chapter
- Environmental Initiative of Lehigh University
- Lehigh Valley Planning Commission
- Alliance for Sustainable Communities Lehigh Valley
- Agricultural Land Preservation Lehigh County
The League supports more comprehensive statewide land use planning and adoption of a comprehensive land use policy. It supports a comprehensive program for the preservation of agricultural and open space lands. It also promotes environmentally sound agricultural practices in Pennsylvania.
SHALE GAS AND PUBLIC HEALTH
The League supports the maximum protection of public health and the environment in all aspects of Marcellus Shale natural gas production, site restoration and delivery to the customer by requiring the use of best practices and promoting comprehensive regulation, communication and adequate staffing across government agencies.
The 2021 Shale and Public Health Conference was held virtually. It featured new research, presented by national experts, on shale and associated public health impacts. The two day conference consisted of four sessions:
- New Health Research
- Research and Regulatory Policy
- Emerging and Urgent
- Community Voices
Recordings of the conference and the Conference Resource Guide are available here.